Cobh Wanderers Football Club

Munster Junior League: Passage 0-1 Cobh Wanderers.


Wanderers scrapped their way to a narrow victory over Passage tonight having to play over an hour of the game with ten men after Pa Brady saw red for a dangerous tackle in the middle of the field. The condition of the pitch made good football almost impossible with the very slippery surface under foot. Both sides exchanged some decent chances through the first half. Wanderers first good chance fell to Kevin Wilmot after 15 minutes. Martin O’ Carroll used some neat footwork to create space before sliding a pass to Wilmot who pulled his effort just wide of the left hand post. A minute later Passage had a great chance fly just wide following a corner from the left. Gary Meade put in a great corner on 18 minutes and O’ Carroll headed wide having connected with the ball on the stretch. Meade found himself through on the keeper after 22 minutes and his slight hesitation before shooting allowed the keeper time to smother the effort. Passage created the same opening at the other end a minute later and Bucks had to make a crucial save.

Five minutes later Bucks had to make a brilliant one-handed save to keep the game scoreless. Wanderers task looked much harder following the dismissal of Brady a minute later but the team seemed to lift their game for the rest of the half. Ten minutes before the break, Cormac Downing put in a great cross from the left and Pierce Donachie put a tentative headed wide when well placed. On 42 minutes a free was cleared and fell to Murphy who drilled the ball to the back stick where O’ Carroll side-footed just inside the post for the lead goal. Wilmot put an excellent free into the box in the final minute of the first half where Kevin Doody headed well wide with a totally free header from the middle of the goal.

Wanderers dropped back in the early stages of the second half and needed some brave defensive blocks from Doody, O’ Donovan, Downing and Murphy to keep the home side at bay. Downing had to come across from the left to the right hand post midway through the half to make a crucial clearance when Passage were close to an equalizer. Doody had to make a superb clearance with seven minutes remaining to again hold onto the slender lead. Wanderers broke straight up the field and Wilmot went clear, rounded the keeper and with the goal at his mercy he took far too long before putting a tame effort wide.The management team of Brian Leahy and Mark Farrell used the very strong subs bench well throughout the second half to freshen up the ten men whose massive effort was taking its toll and a great team performance secured the three points to maintain the lead at the top of the table. Well done to all involved on a magnificent effort.

Scorer: Martin O’ Carroll 42minutes.

Team: David Buckley, Pa Brady, Cormac Downing, Tony O’ Donovan, Kevin Doody, Dave Walsh, Pierce Donachie (David Quigley 66), Ian Murphy (Adam Thompson 84), Kevin Wilmot, Martin O’ Carroll (Andy Hogan 76), Gary Meade (Anthony O’ Beirnes 66).