Cobh Wanderers Football Club

Super-sub Dave Cummins saves the day.


Result: Cobh Wanderers 3-2 Blackstone Rovers

Super-sub Dave Cummins, on for the final ten minutes, produced the finishing that was lacking in the previous eighty to rescue a win from what was, in truth, a best forgotten game. If the league start awarding points for ‘bitching’ our position in the Junior Premier is in no doubt next season.
The visitors started well and looked organised from the off but on nine minutes Damo Brady intercepted a cross field pass and ran forward before slipping the ball to Griffin who saw his attempt blocked away for a corner. This really set the tone for the game which was full of chances created and mostly chances missed. On 19 minutes Griffin ran clear from half way before sending a long raking pass to Meany but the defender was too strong and eased the ball out for a corner. From that corner Sean Daly had a free header stopped on the line just by the post. The visitors took the lead on 21 minutes from a corner which was easily headed in from close range with the minimum of challenge. Five minutes later Conor Lang raced through onto a ball that favoured the keeper. For some reason the keeper left his area and tried to head away to safety but Lang intercepted and ran on before the keepers hand caught him in the face and he hit the deck.

The ref awarded a penalty and sent the keeper off and at least one of these decisions was wrong. With the regular ‘ever-reliable’ penalty taker rested (for the big league games to come), it was left to Griffin to slot the kick home and level the scores. On 40 minutes Griffin slipped a great ball through to Hogan but the pace of the pass just took it through to the keeper. A minute later Blackstone had a great chance to take the lead but Leahy made a super reaction save from a good strike. The visitors spurned another good chance a minute later putting a tame effort wide. Just before half time Leahy started an attack with a good throw out to Hogan. He passed to Daly who picked out Meany with a great ball but his effort from the right hit the side netting. It’s fair to say the visitors didn’t look like they were playing with ten men throughout the second half and were the better team for much of it. 14 minutes in Jimmy Griffin picked out the run of Damo who was squeezed out of it between two defenders inside the box. It was a good shout for a penalty but the ref was in no mood for charity when none had been shown to him! Griffin had a point blank effort saved by the keeper, though he knew nothing about it, following some good work by Jamie McCarthy picking out the run of Brady who supplied the cross for Griffin’s chance. Blackstone took the lead from a free which landed at the player’s feet six yards out. He had time to turn and slot the ball to the keepers left for an easy finish.

Damo should have equalized five minutes later when he was put through on goal with the keeper to beat. He got his legs in a tangle and fluffed his lines completely. With ten minutes remaining it was time to launch Dave Cummins from the bench. Three minutes on the pitch and Cummins levelled with a strike from 12 yards which flew into the corner of the net. A minute into injury time, with the crowd praying there wouldn’t be extra time, Cummins grabbed the winner. It took a few attempts following a lob over the keeper that came back off the post before Dave eventually found himself with a tap-in from half a yard out. Thanks Dave!

Scorers: Stephen Griffin 28(pen), Dave Cummins 83 & 90+1. Blackstone 21 &73.

Team: Brian Leahy, Chris McCarthy, Cormac Downing, Kevin Doody, Paddy Brady, Andy Hogan, Damien Brady, Sean Daly, Conor Lang(Dave Cummins 80), Jimmy Griffin, Michael Meany(Jamie McCarthy H/T).